Eaton Bray Lawn Tennis
Posted on April 7, 2009
Six weeks into our new committee under the rigorous leadership of Madame Bernadette, and already there's a feeling of excitement about all our plans for the coming season.
We come of age this year, as this spring sees the 21st anniversary of that first small gathering of tennis-minded enthusiasts in the Coffee Tavern back in 1988. It's amazing to ponder that our club has been in existence for longer than the Nurseries development, and even the invention of the internet! So with all the positive vibes emitting from our little band of members, we'd love you to share our feelings of optimism this coming year, and come along and join us! Here are a few reasons why you might enjoy some tennis in Eaton Bray...
- Membership fees held at last year's levels. That means a whole family can enjoy a year's tennis for around £10 per month. A junior member pays less for a whole week's playing than the cost of a single Daily Mail - so there's no competition really!
- Three courts - all bookable and accessible by your own personal solid brass key.
- 8 Teams entered in the League this year - with free tea and sandwiches for away matches!
- Floodlights! These magnificent illuminations, allegedly purchased by ex-chairman John Palmer from BHS Homeware in Luton, now allow play 24 hours a day (providing you switch the lights off by 10pm!)
- A dedicated Clubhouse with changing rooms, toilets, tables, chairs and famous wonky cupboard.
- Social playing sessions on Tuesdays and Sundays - everyone made welcome whatever standard.
- Our own dedicated website - www.ebltc.org.uk - with all the latest news and gossip from the club.
- A 'Buddy' system for new members - someone to offer support and encouragement.
- Our own Professional Tennis Coach! An ex-Great Britain player, Nick Boys is available for 1-2-1 or group coaching and specialises in Junior's coaching on Saturday mornings, beginners upwards. No wonder the other South Beds teams quake in their trainers when they see us coming!
- Come and try our Electric Ball Machine! Nick swears by it (and frequently at it...)
- And last but by no means least, a Social Calendar that includes:
- Saturday 11th April: Round Robin competition at the courts, a fun contest with strange rules that most people master within a couple of years, it's just as much fun to watch as to take part!
- Saturday 18th April: Quiz night at the village hall. £8 per person, with the usual excellent food thrown in (not literally).
- Saturday 20th June: Our annual Play Tennis Day. This is a free tennis taster session for both adults and children, members and non-members, so bring along as many friends and family as you can muster; we'll have spectacular offers available for any new members joining on the day! There'll be lots of fun tennis related games and activities, competitions such as Fastest Serve and Longest Rally against the Coach, free giveaways, tennis equipment and clothes for sale, plus our famous BBQ (small charge applies but there'll be up to 48 menu options)! Our ball machine may make a special appearance too... so come along and have some fun for a few hours, even if just to sit in the sun with a burger and chips (bring your own chips...)
More dates to come soon, including our Club Final's Day in September, more Round Robins, and another potential Quiz Night in October.
So there you have at least 11 good reasons to call us to find out more about how to both get fit and enhance your social life all at the same time!
For any further information about the club, including when we get together for our social tennis sessions up at the School Lane courts, or our various activities, you can visit our website at www.ebltc.org.uk; Alternatively contact Bernadette Hillman, Coach Nick Boys, or if they're all out and I'm not having another argument with the ball machine, me, Andy Cross.
Source: Focus, April 2009
Comment on This Article:
All HTML, except <i>, <b>, <u> will require your comment to be moderated before it is publicly displayed.
If you would like your own avatar displayed, read about comment avatars.